Oyo State governor, ‘Seyi Makinde, has said the operation to rescue the teachers and pupils abducted in Ahoro-Esinele Community of Oriire Local Government Area is still ongoing.
He also confirmed the number of teachers abducted as seven, adding that seven pupils were abducted at the Community Secondary School and another 18 pupils at the First Baptist Nursery and Primary School, taking the total number of abducted people to 32.
The governor said this shortly after a security review meeting with his security advisers and the service commanders in the state, on Monday, noting that an operational centre had been set up at the Police Headquarters in Ibadan.
Makinde assured that the state government will stop at nothing to bring the teachers and pupils home safely, but cautioned against sensationalising the situation, noting that the goal was to safely rescue the abductees.
Makinde declared that the Oyo State Government would not surrender to terrorism, stressing that, though the government was willing to listen to the demands of the abductors, the abducted teachers and children must be released safely and timely.
He said: “Now, we are able to conclusively confirm that, at the Community Secondary School, seven students were abducted, while at the First Baptist Primary and Nursery School, 18 children were abducted.
“The teachers involved were seven. Unfortunately, as I reported yesterday [Sunday], one of them was killed.
“The operation is still ongoing. It is still a very fluid and difficult situation that our troops on the ground are faced with.
“So, I will please ask for responsible reporting of the situation. This is not something sensational. It involves lives. So, please, if you are not clear about anything, you can ask us, and we will gladly volunteer the information.”
Responding to a question on the state of the surveillance aircraft procured by the state government, Governor Makinde said the aircraft have arrived in the country and are being reassembled at the Nigeria Air Force Hangar, Lagos by the manufacturers, who arrived in the country a few days ago.
He said the aircraft would be coupled in about two weeks and should, give or take, begin operations towards the end of June.
Governor Makinde said: “The surveillance aircraft have arrived in the country. As of today, they are at the Nigerian Air Force hanger in Lagos, being reassembled.
“The manufacturer from China arrived in the country about three days ago. They should have about two weeks, roughly to finish their work.
“So, I can say that those surveillance aircraft should be in operation on or before the end of June.
“We were proactive. We wanted to be able to cover the borderline between Oyo State and Kwara State, and also the international border between Oyo State and the Republic of Benin.
“But we didn’t know this would happen at this stage. We didn’t plan for the procurement of the aircraft, having in mind that something like this would happen.
“We now have the capability, but the deployment will have to wait until about the end of June.
“But if anybody is interested, we can always ask the Nigerian Air Force that we want to inspect it, we can arrange for you to go to the Nigerian Air Force Base in Lagos to see the work that is going on right now.”
Makinde gave a charge to residents of the state, saying his government will always be alive to its responsibility to ensure a safe and secure environment where people can pursue their lawful endeavours.
He, however, urged residents to always give timely information to the government on any situation, saying: “The people, the citizens and the residents of whichever area of Oyo State must always give timely information to the government.
“For me, I always say, ‘if you see something strange, say something, and then expect us to do something.’ So, we will keep engaging with the citizens.”
The meeting had in attendance the Special Adviser on Security, Mr Abayomi Fagbenro; Executive Adviser on Security Coordination, Major-Gen Lukman Tokunbo Omoniyi (rtd); and Executive Assistant on Security, CP Sunday Odukoya (rtd).
Others were Commandant of the Oyo State Security Network Agency, codenamed Amotekun Corps, Col Olayanju Olayinka (rtd); Oyo State Commissioner of Police, Mr Gbenga Abimbola; Garrison Commander, 2 Division, Brig-General A.S. Bugaje; and Commander of the Nigerian Air Force 655 Station in Ibadan, Air Force Commodore D.U. Njoku.




















